Friday, August 28, 2009

Spelling Test are for LOSERS

Fighter Pilot has his first spelling test today. First grades sucks. Spelling test suck. It is hard for me to be too hard on my kids about spelling, or the inability to spell, given that I am a terrible speller. No really. Spell check saved my live...and I am only kidding a little bit!

Sassafras is an excellent speller. She is a great all around daughter. The single trait that makes this true is her fierce desire to please adults. She wants you to be happy with her. To tell her that you are happy with her and to hug her a lot. Her first spelling test was a breeze. She brought the list home and I got all excited about it. Finally we had some homework. Something I could do to help her with school other than read to her every night (my favorite part of my "mommy" day). I called out the words to her and she got every freaking one right. If I had an easy button I so would have pushed it.

Fighter Pilot brought home his first spelling list this week. The words were easy. They were sight words that he learned in Kindergarten (and promptly forgot over the summer because his bonus Mom packed his flashcards and sight word books when they moved and never unpacked them). Words like...at, am, as, have, that, and. I can't remember all ten but you get the idea.

Tuesday night before reading his new library book (he checked out from the school library and actually got to bring home because he is a big boy) I told him we would have to work on his spelling words. I called out the first one on the list.

Accentia: Spell "am"

Fighter Pilot: crickets chirping

Accentia: Did Mrs. 1st Grade Teacher (who also taught your sister and literally asked us if she could adopt her) explain to you what a spelling test was and what was expected of you?

Fighter Pilot: more crickets

It is going to be a long year at Casa De Accentia!

Speaking of me casa...I originally intended for this blog to chronically my journey in preparing several aspects of my life for getting pregnant. I have obviously kept you up to date on the weight issue. However, have never once spoken again of the house and finance issues...or even explained what the issues where. I'll do that next week...promise!

UPDATE!!! He made a 100% A on his spelling test. Wonders never cease to amaze! Photographic evidence below.

2 comments:

GK said...

Well - I just love this post. You sound like a....dare I say it...mommy blogger!! :-) woohoo.

Shana said...

lol...oh no...I've turned into a mommy blogger! :)