Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The 2009 Camping Extravaganza!

Weight Watchers Wednesday
Gained 3 1/2 lbs. this week.
Defeat they name is s'more...and they were totally worth it!

We went camping last weekend.

When one of the counselors at my kids aftercare program found out we were camping she said, "you don't strike me as a camper". I'm not really. Given a choice I am usually going to opt for my bed and the creature comforts of home. Luckily I haven't always had a choice and therefore can and do appreciate "the camping".

When I was a girl we started out with tent camping. I am the youngest of three girls. My parents always had their own big tent and then the three of us would squeeze into this tiny little tent. At the time it didn't faze me but looking back I am really curious about it. However I'm not going to ask because I'm too afraid the answer might involve my parents having "the sex". We moved on and into a pop up pull behind thingy and to be honest I felt that thing was way more work than it was worth. The putting up and then the taking down and cleaning blah blah blah. Tents just seemed easier. Then my parents got smart or better paying jobs and we started renting cabins and houses on the lake. That is my preference...all the amenities of home but right on the water. Before I started dating Sexy I hadn't actually camped since I was a teenager.

Sexy has some friends from Louisiana that like to come and camp in Arkansas. I totally understand that cause everything in Arkansas is better than in Louisiana. They preferred the "off the grid" type camping that I had never experienced. No electrical hook ups. No bathroom just a stones throw away. The first year we were dating Sexy went without me. However, all his friends brought their wives or girlfriends and kids and he made it clear that the next year he wanted me to come along. I'm not sure how we came to be kid-free on that weekend but it was just Sexy and I that made the pilgrimage to the Quachita National Forrest to join his friends for their annual camping event. It was a blast but very different from the camping I was used to. That was the last year of camping for that group of friends. Everyone moved far far away. Our family has continued the tradition. Last year was year three and we took some of our friends with us. They had been wanting to go camping. We had a good time. This year it was just us.

Fighter Pilot totally called this one on day two when he said, "This is the BEST CAMPING TRIP EVER!" The caps are indicative of his yelling! It really was a great time. There is nothing like going "off grid" with your husband and kids to let you relax and reconnect. There were no tv's, cell phones or interwebs to attend to. It was just us and mother nature. It was awesome. Here are some of my pictures of our adventure. (not the best quality because they were taken with my camera phone) It was cold and wet but magical.


Our tent was right next to this. It sounded beautiful but loud. The first night, in response to me talking about how beautiful it was Fighter Pilot said, "Can you turn it down? I'm never going to get to sleep!"


Our lovely compound. It is way to big but totally awesome. We have gotten much faster at putting it up and taking it down.


The camp "kitchen".


I love a campfire!


but not as much as I LOVE these punks!

No comments: