Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Thats what I'm talking about...

I am officially starting my fifth week of Weight Watchers (WW) and have lost 9.5 lbs. I am really excited about it! I am also really enjoying WW. It is so easy and flexible. I am learning to make good choices because when I do I get to eat more food. I am drinking more water. Eating smaller portions. Eating a lot more fruits and veggies. I am also learning how to be satisfied instead of full or stuffed. I will keep you posted about my progress.

I am not exercising.

We are reading "The Shack" in my Sunday school class. I am really enjoying the book but mostly the discussions about the book that follow in Sunday school.

When I was a kid we went to church (Methodist) most Sundays. When I was a teenager my parents stopped going. My sister and I didn't...we just went on our own. My dad was very religious and seems to have gotten mad at God when his mother died and never recovered. My mom is more spiritual than religious. She is very open to different paths. She has explored other religions and seems more interested in learning about them than actually participating in them.

When I bought my first house it was down the street from a Methodist Church. I never went. I'm really not sure why other than I liked to sleep in on the weekends and I get nervous around new people. When Sexy and I got engaged I decided that if we were going to raise children (he had 2 biological children and 2 step children from his first marriage) then I wanted to raise them in the church. We visited the "blue jean" service. I just didn't feel it. It didn't feel like church. Then we got custody of 3 of the children and I got overwhelmed and didn't do much of anything but take care of them for a couple years. Then I decided to try again. This time I went to the traditional service.

It was like coming home.

I know a lot of people who talk trash about the traditions of High Church. Singing the same songs. Saying the same prayers. I had not had an opinion either way until that day. Those traditions were so comforting and welcoming.

I really feel connected to God now. I don't know all the answers. I'm really still uncomfortable talking about religion. I love going to church and Sunday school. I don't feel superior to those who don't go. I don't know that anyone looking at me would see that I have changed my life so much in the day to day aspects. I've always been a pretty good person and usually made the right choices morally and ethically. What has changed is me. I am listening to God when he tells me to "fear not" and I am trying to pray about things and for people. So many times I feel helpless but I can pray and it makes me feel less helpless. I feel more connected to everything and everyone.

2 comments:

GK said...

I enjoyed your post. You dad AND your mom sound like me. LOL.

Shana said...

I'm glad you liked it. I agree and have thought the same thing myself!